Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Life in the crazy fast lane!

It seems that life just seems to pass by so quickly these days. I think that's a good thing. Keeping busy keeps my mind off all the needless things. We had a great New Year. Michael worked. I was able to go to a party at some friends for New Years Eve, but because of the little one, I was home by 10 and asleep by 10:30. But it was all the same. I got some sleep and the new year came just as I expected. Of course things have been crazy for primary this last week, but I think things are going to slow down for a bit. At least I hope so.
Michael and I have been busy trying to clean out the basement, move some toys down, and of course go through all of the storage and get rid of things unneeded. What a relief to get some of that done. There's still a bunch of work though.
I have also been trying to get my mother-in-law's quilt done. I especially would like to be done by February if all possible. Its been a lot of work, but I'm really proud of how its turning out.
Michael and I found a changing table at a thrift store for $5, so Michael has also taken on the challenge to refinish it. It's an older one with lots of spindles, so its been a pain to sand down, but I think it will turn out nice when its done.
Owen has been a pretty good little boy too. He loves going to the basement to play. He's been a little stinker about taking naps though. For the last week he has refused. So by 5 o clock at night he just lays down on the floor and cries until he sleeps for about 1/2 hour. Today we decide to put up the playpen and make him sleep in that. Then he can't move around. I hope that it will work. I just barely put him down and he hasn't made a peep. Just yet. Wish us luck. Anyone have any good ideas. I can't let go of naps yet. Its obvious he still needs one, and I need a break.
Anyway, I hope all is well with your families!
Ra

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I got lucky with Riley -he took naps until he was 3 1/2. But now that he doesn't, his bedtime is 7pm, which is AWESOME!

I do hope you get to enjoy naptime for a while longer, though.

Sarah & Jeff said...

Logan is a stinker also. The Christmas holiday with no schedule didn't help his nap resistance. He is still fighting me but sometimes if I give him 3 or 4 books to look at, he zonks out anyway. Let me know if you find anything that works.

Sarah

momanddad said...

We always had quiet times. If you lay down with him and read books pretty soon one of you will be asleep and it isn't always the child. But you always don't have time to do this either. Each child is different. Good luck!

J-Babe said...

Sounds like you are keeping busy! Lucas is quite a bit younger so he still takes a nap at about 10 for a couple of hours. If he dosen't get a nap in around that time then it is almost not even worth it to give him a nap later in the day b/c he wakes up grumpy. He also goes to bed by 7:30-8:00 and is up and running by 7 am. I agree with Becky, if he dosen't take an early nap then I would put him to bed early. It is hard but you will figure out something to do. I' am getting ready to put Lucas in a toddler bed, so maybe you could give me some pointers on that one:)

Stacy said...

So Ra, this battle will rage off and on until who knows. Even if you solve it for a little while it will pop up again later :). Try lots of things. Mom told me the book thing and it worked for a while..and then not sometimes. I have had differnt reactions with differnt kids, but with Sam, I have had to accept since he's four now, that it won't ruin my day if he doesn't nap and he will go to bed early that night and some days I win, some I don't. But it's better for me to just role with it because I was getting really angry and upset after drag out battles. I have bribed him which works about 50 percent of the time....books about 25 percent of the time now...and sometimes threats, on really bad days. But I am happier if I let it go sometimes. I will always try though.

But, Isaac is a differnt child who will still sleep...but once every few months challenges me and I have to prove to him that I am serious about that boundry...those are usually bad days, but then he naps for a few weeks until the next challenge. Whoever said you can make your child do things wasn't a parent. You have to cojole and convince and usually they follow..but not always.
Good luck, but it is a battle worth fighting, sleep is ever so important for mommy and boy :).