Wednesday, October 14, 2009

My 3 Day Adventure!





























Well, I did it! I walked in my very first Susan G. Koman 3 day. It was amazing. Thanks to all those that have donated. It was so very worth it. I trained, but not hard enough, I raised money, and I couldn't have done that without all of you. And then, I walked. Three days strait. I walked for the cure. A cause that I really believe in.
On day one I started out waking up at 3:30 in the morning, so I could be to the opening ceremonies by 6:00. That was amazing. During the opening ceremonies we heard of survivor stories, and stories of heartbreak. Yes, I cried. Especially when I heard about the lady and her sister that were supposed to be walking together last weekend, but instead she was walking in memory of her sister who lost that battle just a few weeks ago. Stories like that makes me know that what I did is going to make a difference. On friday I walked 20 miles around D.C. by the embassy's the capitol building, the botanical gardens and through Georgetown. It wasn't easy, buy I fet good when I was done. Day two began cold and rainy and only went downhill from there. I decided to wear some shoes that I didn't train very much in because I didn't want to get my other ones wet, and because they had padding for my very sore feet. We walked through Bathesda Maryland. By lunch I was cold, wet, sore and had about 10 blisters on my feet. I decided to go back to camp to rest so I could walk the following night. I only walked 13 miles that day, but that was ok.
Day 3 was amazing. Started out cold, but it was to be a bright sunshiney day! I did ok. I walked slow, and tried not to stop for too long, for I was afraid I wouldn't be able to get going again. At 9 in the morning I walked past the Cheesecake Factory. It was a good thing it was closed, because I probably would have stopped and finished there. But, I endured and made it to the end. I walked past the zoo, past many metro stations, by the White House, through the gay rights march, and to the Lincoln Memorial. It was an emotional closing ceremonies, but most of all, I'm proud I made it. I did it. And I would do it again.
I hope you enjoy the pictures!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I cried just looking at the pictures! How amazing! I'm glad you had the opportunity to do it! Thank you!!!!

Stacy said...

Ra...you make me a proud big sister. Good job!

J-Babe said...

You are so awesome Rachelle! I bet that was such a great experience. You are a good person.

Unknown said...

Ra...you are awesome and I am so glad that I am related to you. Maybe someday you will be proud to be related to me. I hope I can do something similar someday. I too really believe in this cause.

cathy said...

Congrats- I am glad that you did it. An opportunity of a life time!!!